Search Options  
Home Articles » Finance » Income tax » Filing income tax return after April 15 deadline
E-Mail Address: Password:
Or Login with
Article Directory

Filing income tax return after April 15 deadline

Published: Apr 6, 2012    Views 3298    Comments 0
This article is also available in: Polski

IRS allows to file income tax return up to 6 month after the normal deadline without questions asked. All that’s needed is to file a simple form for automatic extension of time to file

Recommend this article to your friends
After end of the tax year there are several types of documents that arrive in mail that taxpayers are required to claim on their income tax returns. Those documents include forms that report the
[Read full article]
Filing an income tax return after moving from the U.S. and temporarily living in another country, or returning to country of residency, presents some challenges and may cause the overall processing
[Read full article]
Some people have a perception that filing income tax is complex process or it must be done by a tax professional. For individuals with a single job, or even multiple jobs, but no other types of
[Read full article]
If for any reason you don’t have enough time to file a tax return before the deadline, normally April 15 of each year, then at least file for an extension to file your income tax return - Form 4868. It’s a small form and it’s easy to fill out. When filed on time, it automatically extends the deadline by 6 months, until October 15th. If you are U.S. citizen or resident, and at the time of the regular due date of the return, you are out of the country for work or in military service, then you are allowed to file your return and pay any amount due up to 2 months after deadline without an extension.

If you expect to owe any tax amount to IRS, pay an estimated amount with your extension, regardless if you qualify for out of country 2 month extension, otherwise you may get penalty and interest for not filing on time. Overpaying is safer than not. Later when filing the tax return, if it’s determined that you overpaid, the amount becomes your tax refund.

The Form 4846 can be downloaded from IRS’s website: Form 4868 - Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

According to IRS, the deadline to file income tax return can be extended by maximum of 6 months, but they have some exceptions for taxpayers that live out of the country. However, IRS allows to file taxes for several years but here is the catch. If you owe any amount, then prepare to pay interest and penalties from the regular due date of the tax year filed. If you have a refund due, then you’ll get the full refund when filing for up to 4 years late. After that time, refunds not claimed by taxpayers become property of the National Treasury.
1. Form 4868 - Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
2. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
About the Author
Henry Limowski is a freelance writer who shares his knowledge about personal finance and business catering to Polish community living in the U.S. He is dedicated to spreading financial awareness to help people save money. He's the president of QUELL Technologies, LLC, a parent company that owns PodatekDochodowy.com and AmigoLife.com among others.
To comment on this article you need to sign in to your account, or create an account if you don't have one. It is free and it only takes a moment to set it up.
Share your thoughts
Write to us with your suggestions and comments.

» QUELL Technologies    Copyright© 1998 - 2012   All Rights Reserved.